TAKES is a genre-bending exploration of dance, installation and cinema conceived by choreographer Nichole Canuso and multi-media director Lars Jan, and produced by Nichole Canuso Dance Company. A sensual melding of live bodies and film, TAKES features a live duet inside a semi-transparent cube of projected images that manifests, reframes, and spatially unfolds the forgotten moments of a relationship in real-time. TAKES exists in several iterations, and is presented as a performance, participatory installation, and dance film.
- Ingenuity Festival (Cleveland, OH) — September 2012
- 3-Legged Dog Art & Technology Center — January 2012
- Kelly-Strayhorn Theatre (Pittsburgh, PA) — January 2011
- Philadelphia FringeArts Festival — September 2010
- Created by Nichole Canuso Dance Company, in association with Early Morning Opera
- Produced by Nichole Canuso Dance Company
- Co-conceived and directed by Nichole Canuso and Lars Jan
- Choreography by Nichole Canuso
- Scenic & Video Installation by Lars Jan
- Performed by Dito van Reigersberg & Nichole Canuso
- Original Composition & Sound Design by Michael Kiley
- Custom Video Software by Pablo N. Molina
- Object & Costume Design by Maiko Matsushima
- Production Management by Sarah Chandler
- The creation and development of TAKES was made possible in part by a grant from the Pew Center for Arts and Heritage, the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, and the National Endowment for the Arts.
- TAKES was created with residency support from The Maggie Allessee National Center for Choreography (MANCC), The Swarthmore Project, Amherst College, and with support from the Philadelphia Live Arts Festival as part of the Live Arts Brewery Fellowship Program.